Friday, December 30, 2011

A Stampin' Sale and a Skiing Adventure


Yesterday was my first time ever trying a cash and carry sale that involved giving away a gift certificate for the value of what was purchased off the table.  I was so excited about it because I thought it was such a BARGAIN!  I just kept thinking, before I was a demonstrator, I would've been so totally excited about such an opportuntiy.  I spread out all my things across a big long table.  It looked impressive, even to Kevin who said "you've got your own momento mall here!"  I of course corrected him and said that what I had on this table was NOTHING like the beautiful things at the momento mall (Stampin' Up! convention).  It was a great event.  I had set a long time frame for it so that people could drop in whenever was convenient for them.  Several stayed to stamp since any purchase of $30 would get them the sweet and simple class free anyway.  The longer time frame allowed me to have time to chat and visit with everyone and it never felt too crowded.  I haven't yet had time to tidy up the table from the sale, so if you want to make an appointment to drop by and see what's left, let me know.  Warning, the table is not as impressive now that many things have been taken but there are still many stamp sets left and the star and oval punch and the markers...

I hope you have all had a great Christmas holiday with your family and friends.  I've been busy spending time with my family too.  My brother and his wife and two kids are here from New York so it has been nice visiting with them.  My brother is 4 years younger than me so we have never had much in common but now that he's got two kids, it seems like we can relate more and are finally in the same kind of life stage together.  Their oldest daughter is the same age as my youngest son. They have a lot of fun playing together which is a good thing since I dropped off my youngest so that the rest of us could go skiing.
Today we went skiing as a family.  I am physically unco-ordinated and prone to injuries but I was determined to go along even though I could have stayed home and crafted all day.  I really wanted to spend time with Kevin and the kids and I envision how wonderful it will be one day when we can all ski together as a family activity and enjoy the whole apres ski experience.  Kevin is an experienced skiier.  Ethan has had a couple of lessons and can definately hold his own on the slopes.  The problem is that Michelle has never skiied before and I had tried skiing many years before and it was pretty much a painful disaster.  I spent most of the time rolling down the hill.  I tried not to think of the past and only focus on the great possibility before me.  Do I look ready and optimistic?

Kevin and Ethan were off hitting the slopes.  Michelle and I did okay but of course when you have a young child, the whole experience is a little different.  First, Michelle decided her ski boots were too tight so clomp clomp clomp back through the rental area to change the boots which meant we had to also get her skis re-fitted.  Then out for our group lesson which partway through Michelle declared that she had to go pee.  Off she went to the bathroom.  Then we finally got to try bunny slope number two which involved going up the slope with the tow rope.  That tow rope experience wasn't so great.  I felt like my arm was going to get ripped out of its socket grabbing that thing which was supposed to pull me up the hill.  Both Michelle and I fell using the tow rope and then they have to stop the whole thing while you flail around trying to get up.  If they don't stop it in time and it keeps going while you're getting up or still lying on the ground, the person behind you slams into you and there is no other handle for you to grab to continue your journey up the hill.  In my opinion they really need to have a better design.  Look at how stressed I am using the device.

Nonetheless, I am glad I went.  My beginner lesson and ticket only allowed me to go on three very very small hills so I experienced great success (not including using the tow rope) and I am eager to try again.  I was pestering Kevin with questions when we were driving home.  Things like "do you think I could manage to drive out to Dagmar and practice skiing and get back home in time to pick up the kids from school?"  "Do you think I should take another lesson or just go and practice on my own?"  Do you think I will ever learn to ski well enough so that I can go on a big hill?"
Well, I"m sure I'll be very sore tommorrow but today I feel great that I tried something new with my family and pleased that the kids had a good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment